- Contribute, collaborate, inform, educate but do not sell. Social Media marketing is different from paid advertising. Rather than taking a sales approach (i.e. directly promoting your product), instead consider how you can help and inform your target audience. For example, try to deliver useful and credible information that will help build your reputation and customer relationships.
- Create high quality content. Whether you are part of a social networking site, have established your own blog, or are contributing to a blog, you need to develop interesting and high quality content. What information will your target audience find helpful?
- Start with Small Steps and Build on Your Success. You can get a feel for how social media sites work by commenting on other blogs, or setting up your own blog. If you have a service based small business you can try “Yahoo! Answers”. This website provides a way for you to share your knowledge with people who are looking for that specific information.
- Leave your name and URL when you comment on other blogs. This will help drive traffic to your website, particularly if you have provided useful or interesting information.
- Consider video and/or photo sharing. If you are handy with a video camera you may want to consider “how to” videos or tours of your business. These videos can be shared on appropriate social media websites (e.g. YouTube). You can also take photos of your products and share these photos with people who are interested (using for example, Flickr). A word of caution though – avoid aggressive or invasive sales tactics on these websites.
- Join online groups or mailing lists that are related to the products and services you offer. Connect with these groups and offer information and assistance.
- Understand how social media websites work. These sites are all about connecting and collaboration. Adopt a collaborative, helpful approach and be an active contributor. These sites generally have rules against aggressive sales tactics.
Social Media is power now a days, business community is using this power to enhance the business, starters are exploiting the Instagram and Facebook to introduce their products and services, and those already in the market are using power of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn to recall and remind about the products already in the market. Thus resulting in increase in business volume and hence earning more profits. Social Media Marketing companies are playing important role in designing and running intensive campaigns that are more useful as compared to conventional advertising campaigns. Even some of the companies have completely shifted their budgets from conventional advertisers to social media marketing companies. On the other hand new ideas and tactics are being devised by social media companies to give launch innovative campaigns for their customers. It looks that future of advertising belongs to social media, which is more cost efficient and more effective.