Social Media Marketing makes use of social media sites to raise visibility on the Internet and to promote products and services. Social media sites are useful for building social and business networks, and for exchanging ideas and knowledge. Social media marketing (SMM) is the use of social media websites and social networks to market a company’s products and services. Social media marketing provides companies with a way to reach new customers, engage with existing customers, and promote their desired culture, mission, or tone. Also known as “digital marketing” and “e-marketing,” social media marketing has purpose-built data analytics tools that allow marketers to track how successful their efforts are.
Five Reasons Small Businesses Should Use Social Media to Market Their Businesses
- You can reach a large number of people in a more spontaneous way without paying large advertising fees.
- The use of blogs and social and business networking sites can increase traffic to your website from other social media websites. This in turn may increase your Page Rank, resulting in increased traffic from leading search engines.
- Social media complements other marketing strategies such as a paid advertising campaign.
- You can build credibility by participating in relevant forums and responding to questions.
- Social Media sites have information such as user profile data, which can be used to target a specific set of users for advertising.
Breaking Down Social Media Marketing (SMM)
Social media websites allow marketers to employ a broad range of tactics and strategies to promote content and have people engage with it. Many social networks allow users to provide detailed geographical, demographic, and personal information, which will enable marketers to tailor their messages to what is most likely to resonate with users. Because Internet audiences can be better segmented than more traditional marketing channels, companies can ensure that they are focusing their resources on the audience that they want to target.